Monday, July 9, 2007

My Ah-Ha Moment Happened - I understand what I want to be when I grow up!

It's funny how those "Ah-Ha" moments sometimes sneak up on you. The light bulb goes off, there's a sudden shift of perspective, and all of a sudden, things that were murky become clear.

That's what happened to me last night - or rather, early this morning. I've been really struggling with my "what's next" - what do I want to spend the rest of my working life doing? What am I passionate about, and what gets me excited enough to want to spend my time on it?

I've got a great business, and it started out as something that I loved. (I teach people how to create a business strategy that will give them the lifestyle that they want, help them figure out how much business capital they need and show them how and where to connect to the people and programs that can help them get those resources.) And that branched out into doing writing - which started as writing business plans and proposals, and then moved into copywriting and ghostwriting.

And, because I'm here, on the French Riviera, and we travel a lot, I also started doing some travel writing. And of course, blogging.

But I still felt like I was floundering around in a pool of quicksand.

I'm passionate about all of those things, and I love doing them. But I still wasn't sure if any of it was what I was "meant" to do.

And then last night, I did a special vision meditation before I went to sleep. (If that's too woo-woo for you, in more logical terms, I started really thinking about what I want to be when I grow up.)

And I had a dream - and in the dream, I was lost - but when I was found - the wise woman who found me and was leading me back to civilization and I had a long conversation - and I was telling her about my adventures. And she stopped and looked at me with a smile, and said "So now you know what you forgot - you are meant to be a story teller."

And it's really that simple.

And it's true.

I am a teller of stories. I've always been a collector and a teller of tales. When I worked for different nonprofit organizations, one of the reasons that we got such large grants was because we told the stories of the people who were struggling to get out of survival mode and who wanted to make changes in their lives.

And when I started working with small business owners to help them write business proposals or grants - one of the reasons they got approved for funding was because of the way we told the story of their businesses.

And even now, as a copywriter and ghostwriter - I'm still telling the stories that need to be told.

Wow - I feel like someone gave me the key to a door that has been locked for most of my life - and behind that door was the answer to the greatest and most wonderful of mysteries - and yet, now that I've opened it - I'm delighted with the simplicity of what is my truth - about who I am, and what I do.

I am a story teller.

1 comment:

WHITE OWL Sydna said...

You are a great story teller my young friend.
I remember you when you were a girl and now that you are a wise and beautiful woman your stories are the gift you will give to the world.

What a beautiful world we live in when we have story tellers who live their dreams.

http://www.wow-sydna.blogspot.com