Sunday, July 1, 2007

The real secret to resistance exercises

While I was shopping at the market this morning, I noticed this woman who was carrying a baby - the baby couldn't have been more than three or four months old - and she looked great - especially her upper arms. (Lately mine have kept waving after I'm finished, you know?)

And I realized something - she's carting around something that weighs the equivalent of 20 or 30 pounds! Any mother has done it - and as your children got older - and heavier, you probably still spent time carrying them.

So why, I can't help wondering have I been so worried about lifting heavier weights in my resistance training program? I mean, sure, I don't want to end up looking like Arnold - but when my kids were babies I carried them every day - sometimes for several hours a day - and never ended up being mistaken for the Terminator...hmmm...in fact, my arms looked really good back then - very sculpted, lots of definition.

So I did a little research, and asked my favorite weight loss guru, and it turns out that using heavier weights - for shorter, more intense periods of time, will actually help build muscle - and increase definition - but not bulk you out.

So, I'm going to try it. I'll keep you informed on how it's working. As long as I can get back to where the skin under my arms quits waving when I do, I'll be happy...

No comments: